Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiday Hype

I can not believe it is already Thanksgiving! I have recently come to realize that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Why you ask? Yes, the food is a big part of it. As is my secret desire to see one of those ginormous parade balloons crash into a NYC building. But these are not the most important reasons. The reason I love Thanksgiving the most is because it is one of the very few holidays (the only other major holiday I can think of is the 4th of July) where there is no tradition of gift giving.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no Scrooge. It is not a miserly motive. Ask anyone - I give the best Christmas presents. I enjoy picking out things for the people I love. But, it's just that I hate how the holidays have morphed into these commercially-driven, consumption-obsessed rituals. The presents are no longer a thought, a part of the day. They are the WHOLE day.

How many of you can say that your kids favorite holiday is Christmas? And why do you think your kids would say so? Is it the magical feeling they get when you string up the lights? Is it the fun of baking Christmas cookies with their mom? Is it because all the family comes together to share? No, that's right, it is because it's the holiday when they get the most presents. Now I understand that is part of the excitement of being a kid. I was there too once. But as I am about to bring my own child into the world, I can't help but stop and think - should this really be the main focus of a holiday? And are we as adults and parents helping to promote this ideal? How over the top have you gone so far for your kids this Christmas?

I won't blame the kids. Even though I have seen my share of spoiled kiddie attitudes, it's not all their fault. It is only natural to be overwhelmed by an abundance of new things that magically appear in your house one morning. No, it is adults too that are obsessed with the gift aspect of holidays. "I got my son a new flat screen this year. Oh, how old is he? Seven." SEVEN??? "I have to get Susie something spectacular for Christmas,because she got me such a great gift last year." Really? Is it a competition?

And it's not just Christmas. Hundreds of dollars for roses on Valentine's Day. Professionally costumed kids with multiple overflowing sacks of candy on Halloween. Easter baskets filled with electronics instead of eggs. Where have the meaning of these celebrations gone?

When my nephews were little I used to take them every Christmas season to the toy store. Right at peak time, when they were really yearning for all the new items on the shelf, and weren't sure yet what Santa would bring. Then I would tell them to pick out the best gift they could find. And then I would take them to the local fire station and have them donate it to Toys for Tots. Our car ride filled with conversation about the real meaning of Christmas, and how giving in itself was a reward. I plan on continuing this tradition with my own child. I also hope I can uphold the traditions of hand-made Valentines, homemade Halloween costumes, and Easter baskets filled with chocolate eggs. I want holidays to really mean something.

So this Thanksgiving, as I have my own little Turkey in the oven, I am thankful for a holiday when I can gather with family and friends and just celebrate. For a holiday when we can realize how lucky we are for all that we already have, and not what we may or may not get.

No comments:

Post a Comment