Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In the beginning...

Hello world! Hmm, my first blog post. Where do I begin? I guess the beginning would have to be about how I got the notion of even starting a blog. So that will be the subject of my first post. Here goes.

It all began with Facebook. I joined Facebook for the same reason we all do - to peer into other people's lives by reading their posts and looking at their pictures. I mean let's be honest. Everyone says it's to "stay in touch" or "socialize," but really what people want to do is log on and secretly butt into other people's business. It's weirdly voyeuristic, but totally addicting. Despite the fact that it's completely dehumanizing to only interact or socialize with your 400+ "friends" over a machine, I admit it, I like Facebook.

Actually, it turns out the part I like most about Facebook is the status bar. There is something so enjoyable about writing a quick thought or opinion in that little square box, and then committing to it by hitting "post," putting it out there for anyone to see. I have always been a vocal person (just ask anyone, I am not exactly short on words), so I guess it makes sense that I like to communicate. But the status bar is more than communication, it's an outlet for my thoughts, my jokes, my rants. It's a total release, knowing that someone, anyone, can read what is going through my head at that moment. It's almost powerful.

Today I noticed that lately my love for the status bar has increased. It has increased to the point where I have ruined it. My short little quips have morphed into long, run-on descriptions and/or stories. OK, even I know this is obnoxious. No one wants to have to click "read more" to see where the hell I am going with my never-ending status! My father still says to this day that I suffer from Redundant Writer Syndrome. My term papers were always just that much too long, you know? Brevity is not my strong suit. I have accepted it.

So, where does the overly loquacious writer survive? A blog of course! Someplace where random thoughts and writing about nothing in particular is encouraged. So here I am, blogging about me, my thoughts, my opinions, and my experiences. Welcome to A Day in the Life of Alyson. I hope you get some sort of enjoyment from it.....because I certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment